What is Sexual Addiction?
Sexual addiction is an intimacy disorder characterized by compulsive sexual thoughts or acts.
As the disorder progresses, its negative effects begin to compound and grow. With a sexual addiction, these persistent and escalating sexual behaviors continue despite the consequences.
Because of the historical and cultural shame associated with sexual behaviors, sexual addiction has only recently been acknowledged as an issue.
These include health risks, financial problems, ruined relationships or trouble with the law. There are also many other medical, occupational, legal, social, and emotional complications.
There are some treatment professionals who argue that hypersexuality as a disorder doesn’t exist or is exaggerated. However, this is untrue – there is a growing acknowledgment of compulsive sexuality. Help is available to those who need it.
Individuals with hyper-sexual disorders engage in sexual behaviors despite the risks.
If you or someone you love is struggling with compulsive sexual behavior, StepHouse Recovery Center offers a team of specialists that can help. We provide one-to-one coaching therapy, guided meditation, and psychological education in a safe, compassionate, and discreet manner.
Sexual Addiction Indicators
The many indicators of sexual addiction include:
- Compulsive sexual behavior patterns with prostitutes, casual app-based hook-ups, or multiple affairs.
- Compulsive abuse of porn, sexting or cyber sex.
- Using seduction, sex or other schemes to attract or hold onto partners.
- Inability to enjoy relationship or sexual intimacy without abusing alcohol and other drugs.
- Drug and alcohol addictions are driven by co-existing sex and relationship problems.
- Emotional isolation related to living a double life.
- Obsessive dating and endlessly searching for “the one.”
- Mistaking sex and romance for love.
- Using sex, romance, drugs or alcohol to mask loneliness or unhappiness.
- Focusing obsessively on sexual/romantic fantasies via Internet affairs, romantic books, and films as opposed to engaging in intimate relationships.
- Personal and/or professional boundary problems related to intimate and sexual behavior.
- Consistent involvement in emotionally unavailable, troubled, addicted or abusive relationships.
About Sexual Addiction Recovery
We offer a team of specialists that can help through one-to-one coaching therapy, guided meditation, and psychological education in a safe, compassionate and discreet manner for your sexual addiction recovery.
Acting out sexually can be used for various reasons, including to medicate emotional pain, manage stress, or as a substitute for true intimacy.
These compulsive behaviors are often fueled by an anger or fears of intimacy and have their roots in the sexual shame that can stem from the addict’s culture or family.
As with other addictions, there is usually an escalation of these behaviors due to tolerance. The individual continues to pursue the “high” regardless of the costs in his or her personal life.